Monday, March 11, 2013

The Chemise is Finished!

I finally finished hand-sewing my Regency chemise last week. Yippee! What a relief! It really wasn't that difficult. It was just time consuming, and I feel pretty darn proud of myself for entirely hand-sewing it!

Chemise - Ungathered neckline

Chemise - gathered neckline


A close up of some of my "lovely" stitching.
I can definitely say my hand stitching has improved during this project!


I don't think I technically can stick it with this Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge, but I will anyway. :-)


The Challenge: Peasants & Pioneers
Fabric: white 50/50 linen-cotton blend
Pattern: Sensibility Patterns
Year: early 19th century - Regency
Notions: cotton thread, twisted cotton cording
How historically accurate is it? Not sure. I think it's pretty close. 95% maybe? 
Hours to complete: 12-14 hours? I'm not exactly sure, but it definitely took a long time!
First worn: Not yet.
Total cost: Maybe about $20 for fabric, thread, and cording


My next chemise or two will be out of 100% cotton. But I liked the feel of the linen and was happy with how it turned out. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your chemise looks fabulous! (I just followed your link here from your post about your mystery undergarment on the S&S site - LOVE your blog!)

    I am so impressed you handsewed it completely. I almost always wimp out and use some machine stitching on my projects. Fantastic workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Believe me, I was tempted to just whip it out on the sewing machine, but I stayed the course and I am so glad I did. But it's kind of shame no one will see it! haha!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I love hearing your feedback!