|Housewif all rolled up|
I had a lot of fun selecting the fabrics for this. I only had two options in my stash that I felt would work, so gosh dang it, I had to go get some more! haha! The one from my stash that I used for the outside of the housewif was one I found at my favorite fabric shop - Needle & Thread in Gettysburg, PA. It's a print taken from the Winterthur Museum collection (a lovely museum in Delaware). I'm not sure what the print dates to, but it's such a gorgeous fabric! Love at first sight! :-)
|The beautiful Winterthur Museum collection fabric!|
Here's the break down.
The Challenge: June - Travel
Material: 100% cotton prints, cotton homespun
Pattern: Housewif - hand drafted from studying originals and tutorials
Year: early-mid 19th century
Notions: cotton quilt batting, cotton thread, cotton tape, mother of pearl button
How historically accurate is it? 90%. A housewif is pretty straightforward, but I didn't bind the edges like all the ones I've seen in my research. I wanted it to look more tidy and I'm horrible at binding. :-p
Hours to complete: approx. 4.5 hours
First worn: Gave it to a friend as a gift for her to use
Total cost: about $10 for fabric. The rest was in my stash.
Enjoy some more photos!
|The light blue is the 1830s reproduction print.|
Both browns I felt were good 1860s options, as well as the plaid.
|I love the blue and gold print and the gold print is one I've had in my stash and used in a quilt.|
Here you can see a peek at the beeswax I stuffed in one of the pockets.
|The back of the housewif|
|Rolled up and tidy with button and cotton tape ties|
The button doesn't actually button. It's just to cover and anchor the ties, as well as give them something to wrap around if desired.